Monday, August 24, 2015

August 24, 2015-----I Ate Guinea Pig.....

Hola Familia y Amigos!

This week flew by!  Days feel like an eternity, but I swear yesterday was P-day.  So much is happening here that I want to share, but I’ll just try to pick a few of the highlights.

About 2/3 of the people here wear normal clothes and the other 1/3 wear killer awesome native outfits.  Like skirts and sweaters with top-hats.  We are “teaching” this OLD lady named Sarafina, who only speaks Quechua.  We have a Book of Mormon in Quechua, but she can’t read.  We try to bring members who can translate for us, but this week we stopped by twice without a translator.  We just go in and say, “Mama, Ora-chon mama?” Then she says “Si Mama.” Then she prays and we sing a hymn then she prays again.  It’s flipping chevre.  The older people here add “mama” to the end of every sentence and “cita” to the end of every word. 

I want to learn Quechua so bad, but I should probably learn Spanish first.  Apparently Quechua is a lot easier for Gringos to learn than for the Latinos.  It is super simple because it doesn’t have any conjugations.  But every word is a mile long.  The Book of Mormon in Quechua only has a few parts of the actual book, because it is so hard to translate.  Crazy.

On Saturday, 8 year old Sol de Jesus was baptized.  About three minutes before it started, my companion and I were asked to speak.  I was SO scared because I don’t really speak Spanish and I don’t know how to write a talk in 3 minutes.  But I am trying to humbly accept the Lord’s will in all things so that he can strengthen and teach me.  My companion spoke about Baptism and I spoke about the Holy Ghost.  I don’t even know what I said, but with the help of the spirit and the gift of tongues I was able to face my fears and share my testimony about the Holy Ghost.  Also, during the meeting they asked me to play the piano for the hymns and for the special musical number.  I am really not very good at the piano, but I am trying to serve in all aspects that I can.  Latinos sing so loud and so off key and I love it!  I hope that they don’t judge too harshly that I stink at playing the piano.

Our investigator Jeidy is getting baptized this Saturday!  She is so great.  Every time we go to teach a lesson, we start by asking what she learned from reading the pamphlet and she literally teaches the whole lesson.  She knows so much and she is really excited to learn more about the gospel.  She is 22 and she is talking about going on a mission.  Her family doesn’t really want to learn about the gospel, but we’re hoping that they will see her example and how happy the gospel makes her.

Oh yeah so we got home from church yesterday and Raul was in the kitchen chopping up a guinea pig.  So yeah… I ate Cuiy.  It really didn’t taste so bad, but it had fingers and nails and eyeballs and hair on it.  Oh geeze.  I am getting pretty good at eating just about anything.  Most of the food here is so good, but there are some pretty nasty things.  Members and investigators always give us missionaries food every time they see us.  It is terrible sometimes, because they dish up the biggest portions and watch us eat every bite.  I exercise every morning and we walk all over the place, but I just can’t compete with the giant portions and the faces of the people who prepared the food for us. 

I still feel like I have no idea what is going on, and I still don’t speak Spanish, but I am getting better.  I can’t roll my R’s which is awkward, because you have to roll the R in Harris.  It is super frustrating that I memorize words then I forget them in 10 minutes.  My companion keeps telling me to “Confiar en el Señor.” (Trust in the Lord).  It’s cool because confiar means trust, but every time she says it I think of the word confide.  I have been really trying to confide in the Lord because I really can’t confide in anyone else here.  God is good.  The church is true.  I love you all. Until next week!

Con amor,
Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment