Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31, 2015----We Had Our First Baptism!




 Hola Familia y Amigos!


We had a baptism this week!  It was so special.  She invited her family and after many of her friends and family asked us to come teach them.  It is amazing to see how God prepares the hearts of his children- both missionaries and investigators.

The culture here is so different than what I am used to.  Everything is so new, but each day I try to find something new to love.  In ward council yesterday we were discussing how we could serve an older lady in the ward.  She was having problems with her cats eating her guinea pigs.  I don’t know why I thought it was so funny, but I couldn’t help but think how different the ward council probably is at home.  I laughed for like 10 minutes.. oops  Haha

When the Hermana trainers came to do changes this week they gave some great advice.  One thing I love is that they said to memorize a part of my patriarchal blessing.  I have always thought my blessing said nice things, but it has never spoken to me like it did yesterday as I read it and pondered which paragraph I was going to memorize.  So many things are specific to what I am doing right now.  It totally talks about my mission, but I never would have known had I not chosen to serve, because it doesn’t bluntly say, “on your mission…”

We had interviews with Presidente Harbertson this week in Abancay.  It is about a 4 hour ride from here. I got SO sick.  I curled up in a ball and tried not to puke the whole way.  I looked awesome by the time we got there...  President said some really powerful things in my interview.  One thing that stood out is that he rarely puts a Latina trainer with a gringa and when he does he thinks and prays very carefully.  He said, "When I interviewed you for the first time I saw something in you and I knew immediately your assignment.  The Lord knows your potential and needs you to learn spanish quickly.  The Lord has great confidence in you and, Hermana Harris, I have great confidence in you." Eeeps!

This whole mission thing is so hard, but the Lord never ceases to send me tender mercies.  I read in “Jesus the Christ” this week that a disciple of Christ gives everything and doesn’t look back.  I try to think of this every time I get homesick.  The Lord is good.  His gospel is true and I am so grateful to represent my Savior every day for 18 months.

I love you all so much!  Until next week.
Hermana Harris



 The missionaries in our zone are SO weird.  haha I love it!  Elder McKay and I are the only North  Americans in the whole Zone.



Got to see Hermana Hansen my best buddy in the CCM in Abancay.  The mountains are huge here!!



No comments:

Post a Comment