Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17, 2015-------First Week in the Field



Holy cow!!!!  I have so much to say, but I am trying to come to terms with the fact that it will be impossible for me to describe everything.

Well, on Wednesday we got up at 3 30 am and headed to the airport to fly out to Cusco.  We encountered a little problem leaving the CCM.  There was a car in the way so our bus couldn’t fit.  The elders just jumped out and picked up the car and moved it.  Haha no problem.

The flight to Cusco was incredible.  I really didn’t like Lima all that much.  It was always smoggy and there was zero vegetation or mountains and we never saw the sun or moon or stars.  Anywho, the flight from Lima to Cusco was literally straight up.  It was only an hour and a half flight and we went from 0 to 11,000 feet in elevation.  The mountains are HUGE!!  It is so cool.  When we first landed in Cusco I was worried that it would be like Lima, but it is so much better.  We got off the plane and President Harbertson and his wife as well as a bunch of Elders were waiting for us.  Hermana Harbertson went to Weber High!! What?  We immediately drove up to the Cristo Blanco and looked out over the whole city.  A native man told us about the history of Cusco as we drove around the city.  I didn’t get altitude sickness very bad.  I just got out of breath a little bit quicker.

We then went to the Mission Home.  It is very very beautiful.  I was super surprised, because everything here is pretty crappy.   Everyone is so poor.  We spent the night in a hotel…not sure why?  Then the next day we met at the chapel and were given our trainers.  I am the only North American with a Latino trainer.  Her name is Hermana Eva Lozano.  She is from Columbia and she has only been out 4 months.  We are serving in Andahuaylas (And-uh-WHY-lus).  It is about nine hours away from Cusco.  The bus ride was incredible.  We wound through the most majestic mountains I have ever seen.  Like I’m sure Machu Picchu will not even compare.  We passed through little villages where people were working in their fields on the hillsides in their traditional clothing.  It was so awesome!

I honestly don’t know much about Andahuaylas.  I have no idea what the Altitude is here or the population.  I pretty much never have any idea what is going on, because, well, my companion doesn’t speak English, and I don’t really speak Spanish.  It is such a blessing to have a Latina companion because all of the North American companionships speak English to each other.  If I don’t understand a word in Spanish, my compi explains it in Spanish.  It is super helpful…  But basically I just feel lost all the time.

I love the people here!  Our pensionista is the owner of a little restaurant.  Her name is Sheyla and her Husband is Raul.  They have one daughter named Hellen.  They are all so adorable!  They are my family away from home.  They make the most amazing food.  Most missionaries hate breakfast here, but I love it!  We eat a lot of avocado sandwiches which I love.


Raul just got called to be the branch president. (I think… it is rama in Spanish and I am just assuming it is branch in English).  Peruvians can NOT sing.  Haha it is awesome!  Also nobody here knows how to play the piano so I am going to have to practice to be able to play for sacrament meetings.
We have some awesome investigators!  My very first lesson here we invited Geidy to be baptized and she accepted.  She is super great!

There is only one other north American missionary in our Zone.  His name is Elder McKay and he is somehow related to the McKays in Huntsville.  He is from Arizona.  I kinda feel bad because every time I see him I talk my guts out in English because he is the only other person in this whole city who speaks English and I am pretty much mute all day everyday. 

We are only given one hour to use the internet and we are required to write our president for 15 minutes so I have even less time to write here than I did in the CCM.  Also, it costs a lot to send letters from here.  I just want to explain every single detail, but it is impossible.  I guess you’ll all just have to come to Peru.


The mission president and his wife are so different than I imagined but I really love them.  His wife went to Weber and both of them know Huntsville pretty well.

I love Cusco!  I hope that I will be able to serve there at some point in my mission. I want you guys to come here, because I just can't explain what everything is like. I will be in Andahuaylas for sure for the next two transfers, but probably more.  I don't even know if I have an address.  I think the safest way to send letters is through pouch mail then my zone leaders will give me letters every once in a while.  I'm sorry I am always lost.  I pretty much have no idea what is going on ever, because everyone speaks Spanish.  haha

My companion is super loving and very much like a Latino.  She calls me princessa.  She is super sweet and wants to work hard which is awesome.  She is a really good missionary which is why she is training after only being out for four months.

Our apartment is nicer than I expected.  We have a living room, bedroom, laundry room and a bathroom.  The shower has a nice head on it, but for some reason the water just trickles out of one little hole..  So it's like I am showering under a little sink.  haha But the water is warm so I can't complain.  We can't flush our toilet paper which is so disgusting to me, but whatever.  We can't drink the water, but we have nice filtered water bottles and we are able to buy or boil water too.  Randomly though, the water just shuts off and we can't shower or flush the toilet.  It usually only lasts for a couple hours thought so it's all good. I'll try to take pictures of the apartment for next week. 

I had a cool experience the other day.  We were going to teach a very poor family and my companion handed me some cookies to bring to the kids.  I was starving and, honestly, I really wanted to eat the cookies myself.  When we got to the house though, the kids looked so hungry.  They were so excited when I pulled the cookies out of my pocket.  They just kept hugging my legs and saying “gracias Hermana.”  I think my heart changed a little.  I wanted to dig through my bad and give them all the food I could find, even though I was super hungry.  Serving means so much more when it requires some sacrifice.  I have already seen the Lord changing me.  I have so much to learn!  This is the hardest thing I have ever done, but I am so grateful for this opportunity.  I am learning more about my Savior and how much he loves all of us.  

Love to all!  I hope things are well in the grand US of A.
Con amor, Hermana Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment